Thursday 22 July 2010

It's CARNIVAL time

With being a new business in the town, it's our first time to be able to join in with the carnival. About a month ago when I was away in Belfast, we got given a leaflet at the shop to do with a competition they had running for the local businesses in Watchet.

The idea was to dress your shopfront or window in the style of Superheroes and Villains in order to get the town in spirits for the upcoming carnival weekend. Give the town something to talk about.

The perfect opportunity to get creative, something I like to be and I absolutely love taking the time out to do the window!

So......Superheroes and Villains, you have to think about what stock you have in in order to be able to do who you want. We thought about doing Catwoman but I think that in the middle of Summer you need to project some colour into the window. So Matt, Mandys eldest son, suggested Miss Pamela Isley, aka Poison Ivy!

What a great idea! We had plenty of green goodies and a splash of orange and red was a must to really reflect her appearance in the Batman film.

There were a few contestants when it came to choosing a dress for Delores, but I knew we had this gorgeous vintage number which had a subtle floral design. It's cut beautifully on the back and is ideal for summer party.

I managed to get some Ivy from the back garden and got plenty of tissue paper to adorn the windows with. I spent all day doing the window and I was literally sitting in a greenhouse, the heat from the sun and the lights above me was immense lol.

I tied bits of the ivy together and suspended it from the celing and also thought a cheeky little bit wrapped around her legs would top it off. The Windows are decorated with cut out ivy paper shapes, in different tones of green and red. Let me tell you, I spent the majority of my time trying to get these little cut outs right, it took me several attempts but eventually my plans worked.

The rest just flowed, sometimes its nice to just be simple, a few bits here and there.

Tell me what you think! Lets hope people like it!

Becky

xxx

3 comments:

  1. Hi Becky, can you forward this to mandy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-6gv-4mslE
    I think she (and you !) might like it? I saw them play at WOMAD last weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete